A Watcher's Son
Renegades
Author: Clea Saal
Fandom: The Sentinel / Buffy, the Vampire Slayer / Highlander
Rating: 13+
Sections: Home/Blog/Books Frida Saal Fanfiction POD Comparison Contact us!
Fandoms

Buffy, the Vampire Slayer


Highlander


The Sentinel


Stargate: SG-1
Crossover series

Birds of a Feather

In the Genes


A Watcher's Son
Others

Anime

Renegades

We've been in Cascade for almost two weeks now and we are adjusting but it hasn't been easy. From what we've been able to gather it seems that there has been an increase in disorganized vampiric and demonic activity all over the world since the Hellmouth was sealed. The problem is that the destruction of Sunnydale has left us scrambling to keep up with what's happening and we can't afford to even think about the possibility of presenting anything remotely resembling an organized front... ordinary concerns have had to take priority.

In spite of everything it's been an interesting experience. Nothing like sharing yet another almost-apocalypse to heal old wounds. We are now closer than we've ever been and all past mistakes and misdeeds have been forgiven, if not entirely forgotten... and that's good considering some of the poor choices I made.

When we first arrived our top priority was tending to the wounded, and Willow was focused mostly on attempting to recreate our personal records so that we could reclaim our lives and get on with the task of protecting the world. I really don't want to know how doctored those records have become, but I do know that Faith is now free to come and go as she pleases and that no questions are likely to be asked concerning the new slayer's legal status. All of them have been declared emancipated, just in case, and those of foreign origins have received their green cards.

Things are finally settling down somewhat now. Three days ago Robin decided that he was recovered enough to drive the new slayers down to L.A. and Faith went with him. Jim tried to hide his relief at their departure but failed miserably... not that I blame him. The girls might have been my responsibility but even I was glad to see them go. Just the nine of us are crowded enough in the loft, but housing arrangements will still have to wait a while.

Having restored our personal records was just the first step in what's likely to be a rather long process. Fred and Willow are now taking care of the most complicated task: they are trying to track down the Council's hidden resources and recover them without raising any red flags in some of the most sophisticated systems in the world. The problem is that, in it's arrogance, the Council always believed itself to be above the war it fought and no contingency plans were made for a situation like the one we are now facing. They never saw themselves as a potential casualty. Slayers were expendable and the Council was immortal.

I am not sure whether to blame it on frustration or information, but ever since the destruction of Sunnydale I have been growing increasingly angry toward the organization I pledged my life to. The battle against the First taught me things I never wanted to know about the origins of the Council and as I face the task of recreating that organization I find myself wondering whether or not I am doing the right thing. On the one hand I understand the need for such an institution --even now that the conditions in which the war is fought have been so radically altered-- on the other hand I can not deny that there was a taint in the way in which the Council was created that was present from the very beginning, a taint that arose from the crime that created the First Slayer and was perpetuated through the millennia as thousands of girls were doomed to die. It's true that Willow's spell means that that taint can now be cleansed from the new Watchers --and I think maybe it's only fitting that the task of recreating the organization should now fall in the hands of a pack of renegades that were seen as a thorn in the Council's side for years-- but still the task that lies ahead of us is daunting.

One of the most important things we need to do is to recreate the body of knowledge that had been amassed by the Watchers through thousands of years. That is bound to be incredibly difficult, though it seems the situation in that regard is less desperate than I had feared... or at least that's what I gathered once Blair translated some of Willow's excited babbling about an "emergency encrypted backup database that was hosted in a remote server" for me. I don't know how much information she managed to salvage, but seeing how I had assumed that everything was lost I'll take pretty much anything I can get as a good sign.

The thing is that while I know I can count on the gang to do whatever needs to be done I'm not sure it will be enough. Once the financial and logistical situations are resolved we will probably need some sort of additional help and that was in fact one of the reasons that made Cascade such an appealing location for our new headquarters. We are going to need help and I know someone who would be more than willing to lend a bunch of renegades a hand to turn the Watchers into what they should be... and the best part is that Joe is about as good at playing by the rules as we are.

Previous chapterFirst chapterStories in this categoryFanfiction homeSend feedback!Next chapter

Sections: Home/Blog/Books Frida Saal Fanfiction POD Comparison Contact us!

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, I don't own the concepts, I make no money, I make no sense and I get no sleep. This is done for fun and I promise to put the characters back where I found them once I'm done playing with them.


Site content & design © Clea Saal, 2001-2012. All rights reserved.